How to Recolor Embellishments Professionally Using Adobe Photoshop Elements

Howdy peeps! Welcome to another fabulous edition of Q & A Wednesday — the new weekly VIDEO feature here at Simply Tiffany Studios that answers your digital scrapbooking questions. Today, I pulled a technique straight out of my professional digital bag of tricks for both Adobe Photoshop and Photoshop Elements users. Because what kick-butt crafter doesn’t carry around a bag of digital tricks? My bag is by Coach.

I digress …

Q & A Wednesday for Today

In today’s video lesson, you’ll discover my professional secrets for recoloring digital scrapbook embellishments. If you’ve struggled to find just the right color for an element or match other colors on your digi page, then this tutorial is for you! You’ll also learn …

• The super-secret, fool-proof Adjustment Layer for recoloring.
  • How to fine-tune a color’s saturation, tint, shade, or hue.
  • Why every digi-scrapper should learn about blending modes.
  • And a bonus technique for altering multi-colored digital embellishments.

Onward to the show …

Now it’s your turn! How will this technique help you craft kick-butt digi scrap pages? Tell us in the comments below. And if you know someone who will personally benefit from this tutorial, please share it with them. We ALL deserve to craft kick-butt pages … yeah buddy!

Comments

• Stacy said:

October 24th, 2012 at 9:33 am

Loved it! Simple technique that it will greatly simplify my process and kick it up a notch from “Hue/Saturation.”

• Colleen said:

October 24th, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Thank you so much! This video tip ROCKS!

• Lori said:

October 25th, 2012 at 6:59 am

Fantastic! Love your style, as always. Thanks for sharing this great information; I think I had this in my bags of tricks, but I appreciated this great demonstration/reminder!

• Anna said:

October 25th, 2012 at 12:48 pm

THANK YOU!!! I am loving your videos!

• aimee said:

October 26th, 2012 at 5:45 am

thank you so much :) This rocks! I’m going to use this whenever I change color of my elements. I honestly don’t know this technique, thanks for the tip, appreciate it so much!

• Christine said:

October 26th, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Tiffany, what a wonderful tutorial! You made it so easy to understand. I never knew about the “color” blending mode choice. I’m so glad I stumbled upon your blog. I’ve listened to a couple video tutorials already, and you explain everything so simply…and you’ve got a great sense of humor!

• Kellie said:

October 27th, 2012 at 10:05 am

Great trick! I’m embarrassed to admit that I’ve been doing this for 8 years now, and I didn’t know that method of changing the color. I like it! And I could seriously listen to you all day; you make learning fun.

• Shelle said:

October 27th, 2012 at 10:48 am

This is a game changer! I hate hue/saturation for the reasons you mentioned. Thank you!

• grannymike said:

October 27th, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Thank you very much for this great tutorial. I did not know how to change color this way; I have done it very awkwardly in the past, and I have never done it well. I have pinned this for future reference and so others may find it easily as well. I really appreciate your sharing this so freely. I will enjoy trying this out when I have more time.

• Barbara said:

October 27th, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Tiffany … AWESOME video. I’ve been digi scrapping for years but you showed me a way that’s a bit different than I’ve been doing it. I like your way SO MUCH better! Thanks for sharing!

FYI, I posted a link to my blog for your video. Good to share your awesome tips and awesome teaching style with as many people as possible I thought!

Looking forward to your brush class starting!

Barbara

• Tammy said:

October 28th, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Thank you, Tiffany, for this great tutorial! I’ve been using hue/saturation with not so great results. I can’t wait to play with this method!

• Digital Scrapbooking Day 2012 | FREE Template | Simply Tiffany Studios said:

November 1st, 2012 at 7:01 am

[…] Digital Scrapbooking Day 2012 | FREE Template November 1st, 2012 | No comments […]

• Grace said:

November 1st, 2012 at 9:21 am

Thanks, Tiffany! As always, I love your tutorials.

• Livia said:

November 2nd, 2012 at 11:55 am

Amazing tip! I’m a beginner too and just loves your tutorial video. Became a fan of your work. Thank you so much.

• Tammy said:

November 2nd, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Hi Tiffany!
    I tried this tip and it worked amazingly! …except for when I wanted to change a white or pink embellishment to red. I followed the steps, but white turns to pink and pink stays pink! I tried it on a couple of different items with the same results.
    Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong? :}
    Thank you so much!
    Tammy

• Simply Tiffany said:

November 5th, 2012 at 6:56 am

Hi Tammy! I’m glad the tip worked for you. When it comes to changing something from white to any color, you’ll always get a “lighter” version of the color you seek using the Color blend mode. That’s mainly because the color is trying to blind with a tint. The opposite is true for black — you’ll always get a darker shade no matter which light color you choose.

The answer is to use one of the Darken modes instead of Color. Multiply is best. If you’re trying to change the color of a black element from black to pink (for example) use Screen as the blend.

• Tammy said:

November 6th, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Thank you so much, Tiffany! I will give it a try next time I scrap :)

• Britt said:

February 13th, 2013 at 10:56 am

You are my hero. I’ve always used hue / saturation and rarely was able to get the exact look I was going for. What a great way to start the day. Thank you.

• Issy Finlay said:

May 3rd, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I can’t decide between the Wild Child Templates and the Stuffy Templates – to be honest, I also love the Modern Masters Too! I’m spoilt for choice, Tiffany!